We Describe the Steps to Finding a Good Criminal Defense Attorney
A criminal conviction can wreck your entire life. After a conviction, you may find it difficult to get a job, maintain relationships and even get a loan. With a criminal record, your future is uncertain. That is why it is important to fight criminal charges aggressively from the start. After an arrest, you should call an experienced and skilled criminal defense attorney. Having legal representation can impact your case tremendously. But most individuals are not sure how to find a good criminal defense attorney. With so much at stake, this decision requires serious thought and consideration.
How to Find a Good San Jose Criminal Attorney
Before choosing a criminal defense attorney, it is important to do your homework. Do not simply pick the first attorney offered to you. Even though being in jail is stressful, it is critical to take the time to find a good criminal defense attorney. Consider the following before making your choice:
- Consider referrals. Sometimes, the best criminal attorney is one that your friends or family members refer to you. Ask around and consider an attorney who has represented someone you already know and trust. If you have had a lawyer for another case and trust them, ask them. They may be able to refer you too. However, referrals are not everything. Be sure the recommended attorney has other necessary skills and experience.
- Review testimonials. Check the attorney’s website for client testimonials. This can give you a good idea of the success of a criminal attorney. A good criminal defense attorney will showcase his or her successful cases and have positive reviews from former clients.
- Experience matters. Not all criminal defense attorneys are the same. It is important to choose a criminal attorney with considerable experience defending individuals against similar charges. Someone who has experience defending DUI charges may not have experience defending sexual assault charges. Modern criminal law is complex. You want a law firm on your side who has handled similar cases to the one you are facing.
- Choose local. It is important to hire an attorney with experience litigating cases in the courthouse where your case is pending. Procedures often vary from courthouse to courthouse. Experience in the local courthouses matters when defending against criminal charges. For example, we are based in San Jose. We represent clients throughout San Jose and the surrounding areas, such as Santa Clara, Milpitas and Campbell.
- Trust. Your lawyer will speak for you in court. As such, it is important that you can talk with your lawyer comfortably during every step of the process. Getting along with and trusting your attorney is critical.
Contact Our San Jose Criminal Attorney for More Information
After an arrest, it is important to fight your charges. Your future and your freedom may be at stake. However, finding a good criminal defense attorney is not easy. How do you know you have chosen a criminal defense lawyer who will fight hard for you?
At the Law Offices of Thomas Nicholas Cvietkovich, we offer a free initial consultation to help you during this difficult time. Our lawyers will meet with you personally and help answer all of your questions. We can protect your future and help you avoid unnecessary criminal consequences. Call us today at (408) 898-9653 or fill out our online contact form.