Drug Crime Lawyer in San Jose
We Defend Clients Accused of Drug Crimes in the Bay Area
For the last several decades, drug-related crimes have been at the forefront of public consciousness—and for good reason. Over five percent of people age 18 to 80 have been prescribed a tranquilizer like Xanax, Klonopin or Ativan, with overdoses and deaths increasing each year. More than 12.5 million people have misused opioid painkillers in 2015, with 91 Americans dying every day from opioid overdoses as noted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Additionally, ADHD stimulants show a greater risk of overdose than cocaine according to a 2017 report. Regrettably, these statistics show that we live in a drug-saturated society. Thus, federal, state, and local authorities are directing their efforts toward curbing the effects that drugs can have on society, particularly when linked with violent crime. However, this means that facing drug charges can be extremely serious, with convictions often resulting in severe and lifelong penalties.
If you need help defending yourself or a loved one against drug charges, then contact our San Jose drug crime lawyer right away.
What Are Common Drugs Involved in Criminal Cases?
In general, anything that is classified as a “controlled substance” may result in criminal charges. Usually, these charges are for possession or possession with intent to distribute.
Common drug crime cases involve:
- Marijuana. Cannabis laws seem to be ever-changing in California and are different for medical users than recreational users. As of the beginning of 2018, law enforcement will treat marijuana similar to alcohol. This means that any open receptacle of a marijuana based products, including edibles and vaporizers, can constitute an infraction if you are driving. However, a closed container and general possession is legal.
- Cocaine and crack. These stimulants are highly addictive. As schedule II-controlled substances, any possession or distribution of cocaine-based drugs is unlawful.
- Opioids. Anyone convicted of illegal possession or distribution of illegal opioids like heroin or even prescriptions like oxycodone, hydrocodone, oxymorphone, hydromorphone, fentanyl or Vicodin faces stiff penalties.
- Methamphetamines, Amphetamines and Methylphenidates. Psychostimulant drugs are one of the leading causes of overdoses among teens and young adults. Brand-name drugs like Adderall, Ritalin, Concerta, Desoxyn, Vyvanse, Procentra, Methalin and Dexedrine contain psychostimulants
- LSD. Lysergic acid diethylamide, also known as acid, is a major hallucinogenic drug. This substance is a schedule I drug, meaning it is easy to abuse, unsafe for consumption and has no medical purpose.
- Ecstasy. A highly addictive and sometimes deadly drug, Methylenedioxymethamphetamine is commonly referred to as Molly, MDMA or E.
- Recovery Drugs. Law enforcement officers and emergency medical teams use buprenorphine-based drugs (like Suboxone) and naloxone-based drugs (like Narcan) every day to save lives from overdoses. Unfortunately, many people also use them recreationally. Unlawful possession of these substances is as serious as possession of opioids.
What Are Common Types of Drug Charges in California?
When you face drug crime charges, your future depends on your attorney’s ability to understand the law and work within the legal system in pursuit of a favorable outcome. Drug crime attorney Nick Cvietkovich is well equipped to defend you from any charge.
For example, some of these charges may include:
- Drug possession and intent to deliver.
- Possession of drug paraphernalia.
- Selling, distributing, or transporting a controlled substance.
- Manufacturing or producing a controlled substance.
- The sale or provision of a controlled substance to a minor.
- Other misdemeanor and felony California drug offenses.
The consequences associated with drug crimes vary greatly depending on the particular drug, the amount of drug the accused allegedly possessed or consumed, and the circumstances of the offense.
At the Law Offices of Nick Cvietkovich, we understand just how formidable the situation can be when you are facing drug charges. We have handled more than 4,000 criminal cases over the past decade. In that time, we have worked with hundreds of clients dealing with drug crimes of all types.
Local Knowledge & ExperienceWe are a Northern Californian- founded and run firm giving us unique insight into the court system.
Well-Known & Respected TeamThe attorneys at the Law Offices of Thomas Nicholas Cvietkovich are not only respected by our peers and clients, but we have the top legal accreditations.
Dedicated & Experienced CounselOur firm has over 15 years of experience and has successfully handled more than 4,500 cases.
If you have been unjustly charged with a crime, you can count on the legal team at Law Offices of Thomas Nicholas Cvietkovich to fight for your rights every step of the way. Schedule your free case evaluation with our team today.
“Some things are worth more than money. My family and I owe Mr. Cvietkovich way more than he charged which was extremely reasonable. I give 5 stars for Mr. Cvietkovich.”
“No matter how difficult it seemed Nick never gave up. He is very humble, respectful, honest, and professional! Thank you Nick for representing my husband and giving him a new opportunity to start all over with us. God bless you.”
“Nick is an excellent attorney who really cares for his clients and knows what he is doing. He works tirelessly to achieve the best end results in every case. He is very straightforward and lets you know what to expect from beginning to end.”
“I hired one of his associates a couple of years ago like 4 or 5 years ago. Best help I got. I Am so thankful and Mr. Nick inspired me to pursue a career in law firm.”
“Not only did he do everything legally possible to fight false claims, investigate and defend my case, but he also did so with style, grace, and tenacity that only comes from an experienced defense attorney.”
The smallest details of a criminal case involving drug charges can change a life. One wrong word to the authorities can turn a ticket-able offense into a felony with years in jail time. Or a misplaced prescription could result in charges for intent to traffic a controlled substance. If you are facing charges for any type of drug-related offense, then the lawyer you choose can make a difference. Choose the one who is committed to working for you.