Drug Possession Defense Lawyer in San Jose
Representing San Jose Clients Accused of Intent to Deliver Drugs
In the state of California, drug possession is a very serious matter. Even the smallest amount of an illegal or illicit substance can lead to significant consequences to your life. The specific penalties, however, are entirely dependent on the type of drug, the amount of the drug involved, and the possessor’s intent. Were you charged with drug possession, or possession with the intent to sell or distribute? You want a lawyer with extensive drug crime defense experience.
Request your initial consultation by calling our firm at (408) 898-9770 or filling out our online form.
Types of Drug Charges in California
Under California law, there are two very common drug-related charges: Possession of a controlled substance and possession for sale (or distribution) of a controlled substance. Each offense carries severe potential penalties based on the circumstances of the case and the specific substance involved. It is important to work with a lawyer who has significant experience handling drug crimes charges for clients and who understands the law regarding these issues.
Possession of a Controlled Substance
Illegal possession of a drug can include substances such as marijuana, crack/cocaine, heroin, and methamphetamine, as well as certain pharmaceutical drugs without a valid prescription.
A conviction of drug possession hinges on three separate factors:
- Actual or constructive possession. Actual possession is when police found the substance on an individual’s person. Constructive possession is in a place under the control of an individual such as a house or car
- Knowledge. The individual was fully aware of the presence of the drug on his or her person, or in his or her home, car, etc.
- The status of the substance as a controlled substance
- Quantity for use. The amount possessed was a large enough quantity for the person to use rather than just traces of the drug found on the person
The absence of any of these criteria can greatly contribute to your defense, and Mr. Cveitkovich understands this well. He also recognizes the importance of law enforcement following proper search and seizure procedures, as any impropriety can lead to the dismissal of all charges.
Possession for Sale of a Controlled Substance
There is no statutory provision in California law to identify a particular amount of a controlled substance that automatically qualifies for prosecution regarding intent to sell. Instead, the circumstantial considerations of the case can lead to such charges.
In addition to the criteria justifying drug possession charges, intent to sell or deliver can be demonstrated in a number of ways, including:
- Quantity. A significant amount of the substance may indicate that it is intended for more than personal use
- Distribution paraphernalia. The presence of portion bags, bundles, scales, or the drugs being stored in easily sold packaging may also lead to charges for intent to sell
- Cash. Large amounts of cash, particularly smaller denominations may work against an individual’s case
- High volume of visitors. When neighbors or witnesses report large numbers of people stopping at an individual’s house or apartment, especially those who do not stay long, prosecutors may seek intent to deliver charges
As with charges of drug possession, possession for sale charges carry penalties dependent on the drug involved and another variable. However, the least serious charge of intent to deliver is still a felony, punishable by probation and jail time of up to four years.
Contact us online or call us at (408) 898-9770 to schedule your free consultation today.
What Sets Us Apart?
Local Knowledge & ExperienceWe are a Northern Californian- founded and run firm giving us unique insight into the court system.
Well-Known & Respected TeamThe attorneys at the Law Offices of Thomas Nicholas Cvietkovich are not only respected by our peers and clients, but we have the top legal accreditations.
Dedicated & Experienced CounselOur firm has over 15 years of experience and has successfully handled more than 4,500 cases.
If you have been unjustly charged with a crime, you can count on the legal team at Law Offices of Thomas Nicholas Cvietkovich to fight for your rights every step of the way. Schedule your free case evaluation with our team today.
“Some things are worth more than money. My family and I owe Mr. Cvietkovich way more than he charged which was extremely reasonable. I give 5 stars for Mr. Cvietkovich.”
“No matter how difficult it seemed Nick never gave up. He is very humble, respectful, honest, and professional! Thank you Nick for representing my husband and giving him a new opportunity to start all over with us. God bless you.”
“Nick is an excellent attorney who really cares for his clients and knows what he is doing. He works tirelessly to achieve the best end results in every case. He is very straightforward and lets you know what to expect from beginning to end.”
“I hired one of his associates a couple of years ago like 4 or 5 years ago. Best help I got. I Am so thankful and Mr. Nick inspired me to pursue a career in law firm.”
“Not only did he do everything legally possible to fight false claims, investigate and defend my case, but he also did so with style, grace, and tenacity that only comes from an experienced defense attorney.”
We Provide Help Defending Your California Drug Possession Charges
Do you have a drug possession charge with or without the intent to sell? You cannot afford to wait.
You Deserve an Advocate
Free & Confidential Consultations